Posted Friday, July 12th 2013 @ 7am
- 8 ounces uncooked spaghetti
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 large can spaghetti sauce (26.5 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon butter
- ½ cup chopped green peppers (I usually omit or substitute red peppers)
- ¨÷ cup chopped onions
- 8 ounces cream cheese
- 2 tablespoons milk
- Fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- French-fried onions (small can)
- Cook spaghetti according to directions on the package. Cook to al dente, drain and set aside.
- Brown ground beef. Drain excess grease. Add spaghetti sauce to skillet and heat.
- Combine onions, peppers and butter in small glass bowl. Cover and microwave 4 minutes on HIGH until soft.
- Add cream cheese and milk to vegetables and stir well. (If cream cheese is not soft, nuke it for 20-30 seconds to make it easy to spread.)
- Using a 12 x 8-inch baking dish (or something close), assemble in the following order: thin layer of spaghetti sauce, cooked spaghetti, cream cheese/vegetable mixture, remaining spaghetti sauce, parmesan cheese (amount subject to your own taste)
- Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes. Top with french-fried onions and continue baking 5 more minutes. (This is the secret ingredient–don’t let them burn.)
Make this ahead of time and refrigerate or freeze without the French Fried onions. Don’t forget to add them 5 minutes before casserole is finished cooking.